LIFE BY THE HOLY SPIRIT
Gal. 5:16-17, 24-25
Galatians 5:16-17 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are contrary the one to the other; that ye may not do the things that ye would.
Galatians 5:24-25 And they that are of Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with the passions and the lusts thereof. (25) If we live by the Spirit, by the Spirit let us also walk.
v16–LIVE BY THE SPIRIT=means staying Spirit Filled.
- You embrace and are clothed by the Holy Spirit – Luke 24:45-49 ASV Then opened he their mind, that they might understand the scriptures; (46) and he said unto them, Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer, and rise again from the dead the third day; (47) and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name unto all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. (48) Ye are witnesses of these things. (49) And behold, I send forth the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city, until ye be clothed with power from on high.
- You are then alert for the temptations and lusts common to man.
- You are then alert to the voice, promptings and guidance of the Holy Spirit.
v17 HUMAN NATURE DESIRES NATURAL THINGS, THE HOLY SPIRIT, SPIRITUAL.
- A spiritual conflict ensues – 2Cor. 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh (4) (for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but mighty before God to the casting down of strongholds), (5) casting down imaginations, and every high thing that is exalted against the knowledge of God, and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ;
- This is a natural law since Adam sinned, [we have someone to blame––Adam and Cain].
v18 BEING FILLED AND LED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.
1. You are no longer subject to the Mosaic Law.
2. Yet you are not free from temptation or lust.
3. Your human desires are still present but
v19-21 IT IS EASY TO GET BEYOND THE SCOPE OF THE INFLUENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- We put ourselves in positions of great temptation.
- You may not be as strong as you think.
- A Houston Oiler footballer 6'9" 290lbs, wife 5' 102. He was a neighbor in Wichita Falls, TX. While he was explaining how he put a Dallas Texan on the ground with a pancake block, his diminutive wife called him home to finish the vacuuming of the carpet. He did not finish the story, but told us that were listening, "I have to go home." He NEVER finished the story.
- Size meant nothing, WHEN authority spoke.
- When Satan comes against you, use your authority in Jesus Name.
- Why put yourself in stressful situations?
- Avoid every kind of evil or its appearance. 1Thes 5:19-22 Don't quench the Spirit. 20 Don't despise prophesies. 21 Test all things, and hold firmly that which is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil.
v24 Crucify The Sinful, Carnal, Natural Man.
1. Eradicate cast off the sinful nature.
2. A poisonous serpent you would kill and cast aside, out of sight.
a. this does not mean all serpents are dead.
b. but if you find another one, you would kill it too.
3. If temptation should overcome you, don't despair, REPENT and come back fighting.
a. sin can take you unaware if your prayer and Word life are lacking.
b. v16 walk in the Spirit and you will not carry out fleshly desires.
v25 NOT ONLY LIVE BY THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Keep in step with the Holy Spirit.
- A military formation is geared to start on the same cadence or step –– not only be on the same count, but know which foot is which.
v22-23 SINCE YOU ARE SPIRIT FILLED, YOUR FRUIT WILL SHOW.
- Are people able to tell there is something different about you?
- Do you know the difference?
- What variety of fruit are you producing?
OLD FASHIONED WATER PUMPS HAD TO BE PRIMED TO PUMP WATER.
- The water in the pump would drain back into the well.
- Evaporation would take place.
- Drawing water from the well was simple, if you had water set aside to prime the pump.
- If the pump was not primed, you might get lucky and draw water.
- But if you are thirsty, you are not looking for luck, you are looking for water!
- Are you keeping your spiritual pump primed?
- The well is there, the pump is there, your thirst is there, but you have to prime the pump – Eph 5:18 "Be filled with the Spirit."
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/