THE PRESENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Zech 4:6; Luke 4:1
Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of Jehovah unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, saith Jehovah of hosts.
Luke 4:1 And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led in the Spirit in the wilderness
- The Holy of Holies was where the Shekinah glory resided — Ex 25:21-22 You shall put the mercy seat on top of the ark, and in the ark you shall put the testimony that I will give you. 22 There I will meet with you, and I will tell you from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubim which are on the ark of the testimony, all that I command you for the children of Israel.
- The ark with the mercy seat and cherubim were welcome signs to the Shekinah –– our hands upraised in welcome!! Ex 26:33-34 You shall hang up the veil under the clasps, and shall bring the ark of the testimony in there within the veil: and the veil shall separate the holy place from the most holy for you. 34 You shall put the mercy seat on the ark of the testimony in the most holy place.
- The Presence was a guarantee against defeat Josh 4:1-7. Joshua 4:1-7 And it came to pass, when all the nation were clean passed over the Jordan, that Jehovah spake unto Joshua, saying, (2) Take you twelve men out of the people, out of every tribe a man, (3) and command ye them, saying, Take you hence out of the midst of the Jordan, out of the place where the priests' feet stood firm, twelve stones, and carry them over with you, and lay them down in the lodging-place, where ye shall lodge this night. (4) Then Joshua called the twelve men, whom he had prepared of the children of Israel, out of every tribe a man: (5) and Joshua said unto them, Pass over before the ark of Jehovah your God into the midst of the Jordan, and take you up every man of you a stone upon his shoulder, according unto the number of the tribes of the children of Israel; (6) that this may be a sign among you, that, when your children ask in time to come, saying, What mean ye by these stones? (7) then ye shall say unto them, Because the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of Jehovah; when it passed over the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off: and these stones shall be for a memorial unto the children of Israel for ever.
- The Presence remained as long as sin was not present.
THE INDWELLING BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- Jesus said the Holy Spirit would be with you – John 14:17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world can't receive; for it doesn't see him, neither knows him. You know him, for he lives with you, and will be in you.
- Would be in you John 14:17 above.
- The Indwelling Holy Spirit is a seal or guarantee just as a notary seal is a guarantee – Eph 1:13-14 in whom you also, having heard the word of the truth, the Good News of your salvation,--in whom, having also believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is a pledge of our inheritance, to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of his glory.
- The Indwelling Holy Spirit will guide into all truth – John 16:13 However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
THE WALK IN THE SPIRIT Gal 5:16,25.
- Walking in the Spirit is walking the way, time and place the Holy Spirit dictates – Gal 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won't fulfill the lust of the flesh. (25) If we live by the Spirit, let's also walk by the Spirit.
- Walking in the Spirit is only possible when the flesh is totally crucified – Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me. That life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.
- The flesh man does not agree with the Spirit – Rom. 7:15-25.
- The Holy Spirit is grieved when we walk after the flesh – Eph 4:30 Don't grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
THE ANOINTING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT – 1John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
- 1. Acts 1:8–the power received is the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you. You will be witnesses to me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the earth."
- 2. Acts 4:31 shows the way to maintain and increase the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Acts 4:31 When they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were gathered together. They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.
- 3. The flesh man has to be placed under total subjection to the Holy Spirit not daily or hourly but moment by moment.
- 4. The anointing of the Holy Spirit guarantees the fulfillment of…Mark 16:17-20 These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new languages; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it will in no way hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover." 19 So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God. 20 They went out, and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word by the signs that followed. Amen.
- 5. You can not lose the anointing because of what some one else does … Eph 5:15-21 Therefore watch carefully how you walk, not as unwise, but as wise; 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore don't be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 Don't be drunken with wine, in which is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs; singing, and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20 giving thanks always concerning all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to God, even the Father; 21 subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ.
- 6. You can only lose the anointing by what you do.
- 7. You only keep the anointing when you have reached the place your spirit man is not controlled by what the flesh senses or feels Eph 4:17-29.
- 8. When the anointing is present the power is present Acts 1:8.
- a. when we are not blessed it is because the anointing is not present.
- 9. The anointing is not just for witnessing but for every facet of your life.
- 10. Do not grieve the Holy Spirit by careless actions – Eph 4:30 Don't grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
- a. take every thought captive … 2Cor 10:5 throwing down imaginations and every high thing that is exalted against the knowledge of God, and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ;
- b. take every moment captive.
- c. take every action captive.
- d. do not allow the flesh man any action word, thought or deed that could grieve the holy spirit.
- 11. The spirit man has no fleshly sense – THREE ACTIONS ARE POSSIBLE – Gal 5:16-18 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won't fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, that you may not do the things that you desire. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
- a. the spirit man gives himself totally to the Holy Spirit.
- b. vacillates.
- c. gives the spirit man over to the control of the flesh man.
- 1) in this realm every action is controlled by the power of the air.
- 2) the soul man cannot of itself give control to demonic forces.
- 3) the flesh man can not of itself give control to demonic forces.
- 4) since demonic forces are spirit beings this control is in the spirit man.
- 5) Gal 5:16 when the spirit man walks in the realm of the Holy Spirit
- a) the soul man is under control 2Cor 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we don't wage war according to the flesh; 4 for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but mighty before God to the throwing down of strongholds, 5 throwing down imaginations and every high thing that is exalted against the knowledge of God, and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ;
- b) the emotions are no longer on a roller coaster.
- c) the flesh man is crucified by the moment.
- d) the flesh man no longer controls the soul, nor the spirit man.
- e) the flesh man and soul man are under control of the Holy Spirit controlled spirit man.
- f) the Spirit controlled spirit man is only concerned about the things of the Holy Spirit.
- g) this does not mean that daily activities are ignored.
- h) this means you live in the world
- (1) emotional but not emotionally controlled.
- (2) flesh but not fleshly controlled.
- 12. The soul man is the sensational man loves, hates, emotional––1John 2:15-16 Don't love the world, neither the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, the Father's love isn't in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, isn't the Father's, but is the world's.
- 13. The flesh man is the lustful, craving man the man of the five natural senses and the three carnal senses.
- 14. All must be brought under control of the Holy Spirit to keep the anointing.
THE PRESENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT GIVES POWER TO –– Acts 1:8; Mk 16:17-18.
1. Thwart the efforts of demons to take control of: a. spirit; b. soul; c. body —
Luke 10:19 Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the devil: and nothing shall in any wise hurt you.
2. Teach the believer how to effectively combat Satan, demons and other spirits.
3. Endue with power to
a. live victoriously.
b. overcome obstacles.
c. witness to Jesus saving power.
4. To bless and give "good things" from the Father.
5. To anoint for service and ministry.
6. The anointing only comes and stays by staying in the Word and praying …
1John 2:20 But you have been anointed by [you hold a sacred appointment from, you have been given an unction from] the Holy One, and you all know [the Truth] or you know all things.
John 15:7 If you remain in me, and my words remain in you, you will ask whatever you desire, and it will be done for you.
Psa 91:1-16 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of Yahweh, "He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust." 3 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler, and from the deadly pestilence. 4 He will cover you with his feathers. Under his wings you will take refuge. His faithfulness is your shield and rampart. 5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day; 6 nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that wastes at noonday. 7 A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it will not come near you. 8 You will only look with your eyes, and see the recompense of the wicked. 9 Because you have made Yahweh your refuge, and the Most High your dwelling place, 10 no evil shall happen to you, neither shall any plague come near your dwelling. 11 For he will put his angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways. 12 They will bear you up in their hands, so that you won't dash your foot against a stone. 13 You will tread on the lion and cobra. You will trample the young lion and the serpent underfoot. 14 "Because he has set his love on me, therefore I will deliver him. I will set him on high, because he has known my name. 15 He will call on me, and I will answer him. I will be with him in trouble. I will deliver him, and honor him. 16 I will satisfy him with long life, and show him my salvation."
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/