LIVING AND WALKING IN THE SPIRIT
THE GOSPEL IN SPIRIT AND POWER
Gal. 5:16-17,24-25; John 4:24
John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Galatians 5:16-17 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. (17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are contrary the one to the other; that ye may not do the things that ye would.
Galatians 5:24-25 And they that are of Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with the passions and the lusts thereof. (25) If we live by the Spirit, by the Spirit let us also walk.
IN TIMES PAST I PREACHED TO MEN [people] AND THEIR NATURAL, CARNAL, BODIES.
NOW I PREACH TO THEIR SPIRIT MAN ... THE PART THAT HAS GOD CONSCIOUSNESS.
- The flesh can not receive God -- Romans 7:15-25 For that which I do I know not: for not what I would, that do I practice; but what I hate, that I do. (16) But if what I would not, that I do, I consent unto the law that it is good. (17) So now it is no more I that do it, but sin which dwelleth in me. (18) For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me, but to do that which is good is not. (19) For the good which I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I practice. (20) But if what I would not, that I do, it is no more I that do it, but sin which dwelleth in me. (21) I find then the law, that, to me who would do good, evil is present. (22) For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: (23) but I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity under the law of sin which is in my members. (24) Wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death? (25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then I of myself with the mind, indeed, serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
- The flesh can not know God -- 1Cor. 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- The flesh feels the goose-bumps.
- The same flesh feels sensations of the lust of the flesh, the pride of life, and lust of the eyes -- 1John 2:15-16 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (16) For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
- The flesh can only be made holy as we crucify it and bring it into the realm of the control of the Spirit -- Rom 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (2) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
- Our spirit is sanctified by the Holy Spirit -- 1Thes 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Our soul-heart is sanctified by the Holy Spirit.
- Our flesh-man is sanctified as we set ourselves apart from sin and unto God.
- When God said - come out from among them and be ye separate - that is something we do -- 2Cor. 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
THE OLD-MAN - DIED ON THE CROSS -- 1Cor 15:21-22 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. (22) For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
- The carnal man dies as we crucify him daily -- 1Cor 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.
- Our body is brought under the control of the Holy Spirit as we moment by moment walk in the Spirit -- Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
- The spirit or thought life controls the walk of the flesh -- 2Cor 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (4) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) (5) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
- When man is out of control in his spirit - his soul (heart) becomes hardened - his flesh follows the lusts that seek to govern its activities -- Heb 3:7-11 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, (8) Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: (9) When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. (10) Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. (11) So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
- No longer does the spirit of man have that God-consciousness that is imperative to walking with God -- but as Nebuchadnezzar became like an animal - so do we -- Daniel 4:28-33 All this came upon the king Nebuchadnezzar. (29) At the end of twelve months he walked in the palace of the kingdom of Babylon. (30) The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty? (31) While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee. (32) And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will. (33) The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.
- Nebuchadnezzar is the picture of man who is not under control of the Holy Spirit in his spirit man - but of a soul man, flesh man who is totally controlled by the lust of the flesh - lust of the eye and the pride of life -- 1John 2:15-16 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (16) For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. (17) And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
THIS IS A PORTRAIT OF MAN TODAY.
- These three tendencies of the natural man, lust of the flesh, lust of the eye, and the pride of life, (which I call the three carnal senses), control what the five natural senses — sense and are made to react to those particular senses.
- Man cannot follow after the things of righteousness in his natural state -- Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
- It is only through his spirit-man - God-consciousness - that one can be drawn by the Holy Spirit into a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ -- Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
- Natural man can not perceive [see] spiritual things -- 1Cor 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- Spiritual man, i.e., a man controlled by the Holy Spirit - perceives the things of the Holy Spirit and of the Blessed Holy Trinity -- John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
- The spiritual man also sees the natural things - but dismisses them as having no relationship to the spiritual man -- Gal 5:16-18 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. (17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. (18) But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
- The spiritual man is not controlled by circumstances, surroundings or the three carnal senses, nor the five natural senses - he is controlled totally by the power of the Holy Spirit -- Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
- The carnal - flesh man can not walk in the Spirit of his own free will -- 1Pet 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
- The spirit man brings himself into alignment with the Spiritual Laws of God by accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and the regeneration by the Holy Spirit --
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/