7-THE SPIRIT BAPTISM
THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT
Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8; 2:4
Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
GREAT EMPHASIS HAS BEEN PLACED ON BEING BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.
IT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE FOR BELIEVERS TO RECEIVE THIS BAPTISM.
THE PROMISE OF THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- Promised by the Father — Joel 2:28-32 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: (29) And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. (30) And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. (31) The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come. (32) And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.
- Promised by the Son, Jesus Christ — John 14:16-18 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; (17) Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. (18) I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
- Conditions to receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit
- the people had to be ready — John 14:17.
- Jesus had to be glorified — John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
- they were to wait in Jerusalem -- Luke 24:49.
THE PURPOSE OF THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- Strength to witness — Luke 24:46-48 and said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, 47 and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things.
- How the disciples witnessed — Acts 2:14-40.
- the day of Pentecost - Peter preached, a man spiritually weak, made strong in the Holy Ghost.
- healed the lame man at the temple gate — Acts 3:12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
- the Holy Spirit gave power to witness before the temple leaders — Acts 5.
THE PROVISION FOR THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- Acts 2:39 "For the promise is unto you and your children and all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."
- THIS BRINGS THE PROMISE TO US TODAY!
THE PROOF OF THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.
The initial evidence - SPEAKING IN TONGUES.
- at Pentecost, 120 spoke in tongues.
- at Samaria — Acts 8:15-17 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (16) (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) (17) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
- at Caesarea – the Gentiles. — Acts 10:45-46 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. (46) For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.
- at Ephesus — Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
- 1Cor 14:18 Paul said, "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all."
The continuing evidence — Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- this is still the believers marching orders —
- the sum of our existence is to glorify God.
- Paul said, Php 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
- Paul gave himself to the ministry of the Word.
- Paul preached the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- when we speak with tongues we speak to God and edify ourselves — 1Cor 14:2-4 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. (3) But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. (4) He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/