THE THREEFOLD PERSONAL
RELATIONSHIP OF THE
HOLY SPIRIT TO THE BELIEVER
John 7:37-39; 14:25-26; 15:26-27; 16:7-11
WORKS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT - Creation - Recreation - Transformation - Regeneration - Sanctification - Resurrection - Transference - Translation - Glorification. In creation the Holy Spirit Hovered or Moved over the water.
THE PERSONALITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- 1. He is not just an influence, nor state of being, nor just a creature.
- 2. He is more than just matter.
- 3. In Him are united all essential elements of personality.
- 4. No inanimate object can--
- a. formulate thought.
- b. direct force.
- c. or control matter.
- 5. Jesus used the personal pronoun He 11 times in John 16.
- 6. The Holy Spirit possesses three essential elements of personality-
- a. intellect - John 14:26; 16:12-13.
- b. emotions - Eph 4:30.
- c. will - 1Cor 12:7-11.
THE PROMISE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
1. Christ promised the Holy Spirit would come - Luke 24:46-49; Acts 1:8.
2. Christ promised the Holy Spirit would indwell believers - John 7:37-39 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. (38) He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (39) (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
3. This promise was fulfilled at Pentecost - Acts 2:4.
THREE PERSONALITIES ARE SEEN IN JOHN 16:7-11.
1. Man in the realm of SIN, is bound by sin and needs a Deliverer.
- a. this sin is unbelief.
- b. conviction is produced by the Holy Spirit.
- 1] through God's Word - Heb 4.12.
- 2] through the believer - Jn 16.7-8.
- 3] this is illustrated in Acts 8 - where Philip was obedient.
2. Christ in the realm of RIGHTEOUSNESS - mans Deliverer and Savior.
- a. we have no righteousness of our own - Isa 64:6; Rm 3:10.
- b. Christ Jesus is God's righteousness personified - Rom 3:21.
- c. Christ can only be received by faith - Rm 3:22.
- d. we are to be show-windows of God's righteousness by letting Christ live in us - Php 1:21; Gal 2:20.
3. Satan in the realm of JUDGMENT - is defeated and bound and his WEAKNESSES openly exposed by Christ.
- a. the judgment of Satan is sure - Rev 20:10.
- b. the time of execution of this edict is future.
- c. the Holy Spirit bears witness to the believer's judgment - Rev 20:11-15.
4. The Holy Spirit deals with man three ways and reproves the world of--
- a. sins of the past.
- b. righteousness present.
- c. judgment future.
5. The Holy Spirit pleads with man for God by --
- a. indicting our thoughts - bringing them into the chambers of the heart.
6. Jesus pleads with God for man - Heb 7:25.
Gen 1:2; Job 26:13; 34:4; Ps 139:7-10; Ezk 37:14; Mic 3:8; Acts 8:29; 10:19; 16:7; 1Cor 2:4; 2Cor 13:14; Eph 3:16-19; 1Tim 4:1; 2Pet 1:20-21.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/