THE ANOINTING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Zechariah 4:1-14 (1) And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep, (2) And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof: (3) And two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof. (4) So I answered and spake to the angel that talked with me, saying, What are these, my lord? (5) Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. (6) Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts. (7) Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it. (8) Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, (9) The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you. (10) For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth. (11) Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? (12) And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves? (13) And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. (14) Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.
v2 – SOLID GOLD LAMPSTAND — this lampstand is an olive oil lampstand.
1. It had seven lights all on the same level.
2. Arranged over a reservoir bowl.
3. Oil flowed from the bowl to keep the lamps full.
4. The bowl of oil symbolized God's inexhaustible and abundant power through the Holy Spirit.
v2 - Zechariah's lampstand differs from the modern MENORAH in four ways–
1. The bowl.
2. The pipes or channels.
3. The olive trees - v3.
4. The two golden spouts - v12.
v2 - each light had seven channels or lips with a wick.
(Zech 4:2) And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof:
(Barnes Notes) "And I said, I have looked and behold a candlestick all of gold" - The candlestick is the seven-branched candlestick of the tabernacle Exodus 25:31, but with variations purposely introduced to symbolize the fuller and more constant supply of the oil, itself the symbol of Gods Holy Spirit, who: Enables with perpetual light to take away the dullness of our blinded sight. The first variation is her bowl on the top of the candlestick, containing the oil; then the pipes to derive the oil into each lamp, seven pipes to the seven lamps, that is, seven to each; and the two olive trees on either side of the bowl, whose extreme and fine branches poured through two golden pipes the golden oil into the bowl which supplied the lamp. The multiplied conduits imply the large and perfect supply of oil unceasingly supplied, the seven being symbolic of perfection or of the reconciling of God (symbolized by 3) unto the world (symbolized by 4, its four quarters); the spontaneous flow of the golden oil from the olive trees symbolizes the free gift of God.
1. This made 49 channels in all.
2. The thought conveyed here is that there was an abundance of channels to convey the abundant supply of oil stored in the bowl.
3. These lamps represent God's people giving fullness of light to the world, because of the abundant flow of the Holy Spirit.
4. Pentecost – 50 = 49 channels + the fullness of the Spirit, the reservoir bowl.
5. We have unlimited power to do the work of the Kingdom -- John 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. …
Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high. …
Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
v3 - TWO OLIVE TREES — The two olive trees represent the royal and priestly ministries of Zerubbabel and Joshua ––
Hag 1:1 In the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, in the first day of the month, came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet unto Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, saying,
Zech 4:3 And two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof.
Zech 4:11-14 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? (12) And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves? (13) And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. (14) Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.
Rev 11:4 These [witnesses] are the two olive trees and the two lamp-stands which stand before the Lord of the earth.
1. The trees symbolize a continual source of oil – the PRESENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
2. The two leaders were to lead the people into a life made possible by the power of the Holy Spirit - v12.
3. Thus the trees represent the kingly and priestly ministries of Jesus Christ Himself.
4. Christ is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.
5. All further fillings come from Christ.
v6 - NOT BY MIGHT NOR BY POWER, BUT BY MY SPIRIT.
1. Though this was spoken to Zerubbabel, it applies to all believers — 2Tim 3:16 Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.
2. Military might, political power or human strength cannot accomplish God's work -- ONLY THE ANOINTING — Isa 10:27 And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.
- 3. We can only do His work if we are enabled by the Holy Spirit — Judges 6:34 But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet; and Abiezer was gathered after him.…Isaiah 31:3 The Egyptians are mere humans, not God; their horses are made of flesh, not spirit. The LORD will strike with his hand; the one who helps will stumble and the one being helped will fall. Together they will perish.
- 4. Jesus entered His ministry in the power of the Spirit — Luke 4:1 Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan River and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness.— Luke 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and the regaining of sight to the blind, to set free those who are oppressed.
5. The church was empowered by the Holy Spirit at Pentecost — Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the farthest parts of the earth."
6. Only as long as the Spirit continues to govern and empower our lives will we accomplish God's will for us.
7. This is why Jesus baptized His followers with the Holy Spirit — Luke 3:16 John answered them all; "I baptize you with water, but one more powerful than I is coming I am not worthy to untie the strap of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
v7 - O MIGHTY MOUNTAIN — Difficulties that seem as large as a mountain can be overcome by the power of the Spirit working through us.
1. But when the manifestations of the Spirit are not present among God's people, opposition and spiritual problems will be overwhelming.
2. Before Zerubbabel the mountain became as nothing.
3. When we go forth in the Power of the Spirit obstacles become as nothing because of our faith in God and the Presence of the Holy Spirit.
4. We look at the mountain and we see flat land -- Mark 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. Mat 21:21-22 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. (22) And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
5. By PERFECTED FAITH–this total knowledge that what we ask will be granted moves every hindrance to the Anointing of the Holy Spirit. — Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, we must get rid of every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and run with endurance the race set out for us, 2 keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. For the joy set out for him he endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/