or MARAH TO ELIM
Exodus 15:22-27 [all chap. 15] Exodus 15:22-27 ASV And Moses led Israel onward from the Red Sea, and they went out into the wilderness of Shur; and they went three days in the wilderness, and found no water. 23 And when they came to Marah, they could not drink of the waters of Marah, for they were bitter: therefore the name of it was called Marah. 24 And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink? 25 An he cried unto Jehovah; And Jehovah showed him a tree, and he cast it into the waters, and the waters were made sweet. There he made for them a statute and an ordinance, and there he proved them; 26 and he said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of Jehovah thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his eyes, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases upon thee, which I have put upon the Egyptians: for I am Jehovah that healeth thee. 27 And they came to Elim, where were twelve springs of water, and threescore and ten palm-trees: and they encamped there by the waters.
Ex. 15:22-24 AFTER THE GREAT VICTORY OVER THE EGYPTIANS, ISRAEL’S FAITH WAVERED.
THEY SEARCHED FOR THREE DAYS COULD FIND NO WATER.
- 1. At Marah they found water that was bitter – v23 –– Heb MARAH = bitterness.
- 2. Testings will come, Gods people will be tried – James 1:12 ALT Happy [or, Blessed] [is the] man who endures temptation [or, testing], because having become approved, he will receive the victor's wreath [or, crown] of the life which the Lord promised to the ones loving Him.
- 3. v24 even though God had given them victory over the Egyptians
- 3a. the Israelites rebelled against Moses leadership.
- 3b. they grumbled because they had no fresh water to drink.
- 4. Many people are rebellious in little things, even after a GREAT VICTORY.
- 5. Trust in God is a continuous attitude of life.
- 6. Not just a luxury reserved for when things are running smoothly.
Ex. 15:25 PRAYER – GOD OFTEN ANSWERS PRAYER BY CALLING ON US TO ACT.
- 1. Ex 5:22-23 various emotions and motives may lead us to pray. Exodus 5:22-23 ASV And Moses returned unto Jehovah, and said, Lord, wherefore hast thou dealt ill with this people? why is it that thou hast sent me? 23 For since I came to Pharaoh to speak in thy name, he hath dealt ill with this people; neither hast thou delivered thy people at all.
- 2. Moses was frustrated with the people and impatient for God to act.
- 3. God responded with a renewed call to service and a promise to act.
- 4. v25 Israel came to these bitter waters while walking in the path of the Lord's leading.
- 5. Dark trials for Gods people may be educational rather than punitive.
- 6. Sickness, disease, trouble, trial come to us because we are human.
- 7. In eternal glory the effects of the fall will be totally eliminated.
- 8. The wood, which healed the water, reminds Believers, the CROSS takes the bitterness out of our trials, testings – Romans 15:3-4 ASV For Christ also pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell upon me. 4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that through patience and through comfort of the scriptures we might have hope. – Galatians 3:13 ASV Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us; for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree.
Ex. 15:26 THE ISRAELITES WERE WARNED TO OBEY GOD AND NOT REBEL AS THE EGYPTIANS, WHOSE REBELLION BROUGHT GODS JUDGMENT ON THEM.
- 1. v26 God promised blessings to His people if they would be obedient.
- 1a. plagues and diseases will not come on you as on the Egyptians.
- 1b. I, the LORD, am your Healer – Jehovah Ropheka.
- 2. As the LORD healed the bitter water, He would heal them physically and spiritually.
- 3. This reveals that it is Gods desire to heal His people rather than inflict illness and disease – Ex 18:23,32; 23:25; 33:11; Deuteronomy 7:15 ASV And Jehovah will take away from thee all sickness; and none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, will he put upon thee, but will lay them upon all them that hate thee. – Psalms 107:20 ASV He sendeth his word, and healeth them, And delivereth them from their destructions.
- 4. The display of might made a deep impression on the Israelites.
- 5. God wanted them to remember that the powerful sovereign God of the Exodus is also the God of tender, loving care.
- 6. Gods love is more clearly understood against the background of what His anger is like when His love is spurned.
- 7. God can bring disease on people to punish them for disobedience FOR GOD IS STILL SOVEREIGN!!!
- 7a. this does not mean all diseases are punishment from God for sin.
- 7b. Gods basic nature is love and healing for His people – Psalms 103:3 ASV Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; Who healeth all thy diseases;
- 7c. God wants us to trust and obey Him in a sin-wrecked world.
- 7d. Gods Laws are spelled out to help us, not to rob us of life’s joys.
v27 ELIM had a plentiful supply of food and water – Numbers 33:9 ASV And they journeyed from Marah, and came unto Elim: and in Elim were twelve springs of water, and threescore and ten palm-trees; and they encamped there.
- 1. This desert oasis was expressly prepared for Israel – Psalms 23:2 ASV He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside still waters.
- 2. There is no record of ELIM being in existence before this event.
- 3. 70 date palm trees with 12 springs –– there are still 3 springs and hundreds of date palm trees to this day.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/