ARE YOU HUNGRY FOR GOD?
Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Exodus 33:13-18 Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people. 14 And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest. 15 And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence. 16 For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth. 17 And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name. 18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.
Psalms 42:1-11 To the chief Musician, Maschil, for the sons of Korah. As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. 2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? 3 My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God? 4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. 5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. 6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar. 7 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. 8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. 9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? 10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God? 11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
THE FOUNDATIONAL REQUIREMENT OF ALL GODLY LIVING IS TO HUNGER AND THIRST FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS – (Mat 6:33) But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
SUCH HUNGER IS SEEN IN MOSES — (Ex 33:13) Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, show me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people.
(Ex. 33:18) And he said, I beseech thee, show me thy glory.
1. Moses wanted to know God's ways.
2. That I may know and continue to find favor with you.
3. v18 - “That I may see Your Glory.”
SUCH HUNGER IS SEEN IN THE PSALMIST — Psa 42:1-11 above; (Psa 63:1-2) A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; 2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
1. v1-2 - as water is essential for physical life —so God and His Presence are essential to the spiritual life.
2. True Believers will hunger and thirst for God and His grace.
3. True Believers will hunger and thirst for blessing and a supernatural moving of the Holy Spirit in their lives.
4. To stop thirsting for God is to die spiritually.
5. We must not allow anything to diminish our intense desire for things of God.
6. Beware of the worries of this life, or pursuit of earthly possessions, and the pursuit of pleasure – (Mat 13:22) He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
(Mark 4:19) And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.
(Luke 8:14) And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
7. Beware of anything that chokes out hunger and thirst for God – (John 15:4,7) Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. (7) If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8. Beware of anything that robs you of the desire to seek God's face in prayer – (2Chr 7:14) If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Psa. 42:6 - MY SOUL IS DOWNCAST –
1. Those who thirst for God and yearn for a greater manifestation may experience delays–Daniel's answer delayed 21 days by Satan – (Dan 10:13) But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.
2. Yet the faithful Believer will continue thirsting for and seeking God — (Ps 63:1) O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
3. Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness God will fill.
4. Do not settle for less than God's full blessing.
5. In the midst of God's silence–continue to press on to know God…continue to experience a greater measure of the Holy Spirit – (Hosea 6:1-3) Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up. 2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight. 3 Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.
(Acts 2:38-39) Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
(Eph 4:11-13) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
6. We must not despair – Psalms 42:7-11 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. 8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. 9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? 10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God? 11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. [text].
a. we must put our trust and hope in God's unfailing love.
THROUGHOUT THEIR LIVES, THE SPIRITUAL CONDITION OF CHRISTIANS WILL DEPEND ON THEIR HUNGER AND THIRST FOR…
1. The Word of God – (Ps 119:11) Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
2. The Presence of God – (Deut 4:29) But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
3. The Fellowship of Christ – (Phil 3:8-10) Yea doubt-less, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
4. The Fellowship of the Holy Spirit – John 7:37-39 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) – (2Cor 13:14) The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
5. Righteousness – (Mat 5:6) Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
6. Kingdom Power – (Mat 6:33) But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
7. The Return of the Lord – (2Tim 4:8) Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.