John 14:12-14 WEB Most certainly I tell you, he who believes in me, the works that I do, he will do also; and he will do greater works than these, because I am going to my Father. 13 Whatever you will ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you will ask anything in my name, I will do it.
John 14:12-14 AMP I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father. 13 And I will do [I Myself will grant] whatever you ask in My Name [as presenting all that I AM], so that the Father may be glorified and extolled in (through) the Son. [Ex. 3:14.] 14 [Yes] I will grant [I Myself will do for you] whatever you shall ask in My Name [as presenting all that I AM].
v12 - HE THAT BELIEVETH.
1. This means each and every believer, as it does in -- John 3:15-18,36, 5:24, 6:35,47, 7:37-39, 11:25, Mk 9:23, 16:15-20, Acts 10:43, Rom 1:16, 3:26, 1Jn 5:1-10. John 12:44-46 AMP But Jesus loudly declared, The one who believes in Me does not [only] believe in and trust in and rely on Me, but [in believing in Me he believes] in Him Who sent Me. 45 And whoever sees Me sees Him Who sent Me. 46 I have come as a Light into the world, so that whoever believes in Me [whoever cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Me] may not continue to live in darkness.
v12 - THE WORKS THAT I DO.
1. Gk ERGON = works, deeds, acts.
2. It is clear that Christ refers to miracles, healings, signs, wonders, and mighty acts of power -- Mt 13:54-58, 14:2, John 5:20,36, 9:3, 10:25,32, 14:10-12. Matthew 11:20-23 AMP Then He began to censure and reproach the cities in which most of His mighty works had been performed, because they did not repent [and their hearts were not changed]. 21 Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would long ago have repented in sackcloth and ashes [and their hearts would have been changed]. 22 I tell you [further], it shall be more endurable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. 23 And you, Capernaum, are you to be lifted up to heaven? You shall be brought down to Hades [the region of the dead]! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have continued until today.
3. His works consisted of teaching, preaching and healing all manner of sickness and disease, casting out devils, raising the dead, cleansing lepers, and doing innumerable acts of deliverance from all the works of Satan -- Mt 9:35; Acts 10:38. Matthew 4:23-24 AMP And He went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the good news (Gospel) of the kingdom, and healing every disease and every weakness and infirmity among the people. 24 So the report of Him spread throughout all Syria, and they brought Him all who were sick, those afflicted with various diseases and torments, those under the power of demons, and epileptics, and paralyzed people, and He healed them.
4. Jesus controlled the elements, multiplied food, walked on water, restored a severed ear, turned water into wine, accomplishing anything He undertook to do in the material and spiritual realms.
v12 - SHALL HE DO ALSO.
1. The promise here is that each believer can be endued with power -- Lk 10:19; 24:49; Acts 1:4-8; AMP And while being in their company and eating with them, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem but to wait for what the Father had promised, Of which [He said] you have heard Me speak. 5 For John baptized with water, but not many days from now you shall be baptized with (placed in, introduced into) the Holy Spirit. 6 So when they were assembled, they asked Him, Lord, is this the time when You will reestablish the kingdom and restore it to Israel? 7 He said to them, It is not for you to become acquainted with and know what time brings [the things and events of time and their definite periods] or fixed years and seasons (their critical niche in time), which the Father has appointed (fixed and reserved) by His own choice and authority and personal power. 8 But you shall receive power (ability, efficiency, and might) when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem and all Judea and Samaria and to the ends (the very bounds) of the earth. [John 14:16,26; 15:26.]
2. And receive the Spirit without measure -- so he can do all the works of Christ. John 7:37-39 AMP Now on the final and most important day of the Feast, Jesus stood, and He cried in a loud voice, If any man is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink! 38 He who believes in Me [who cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Me] as the Scripture has said, From his innermost being shall flow [continuously] springs and rivers of living water. 39 But He was speaking here of the Spirit, Whom those who believed (trusted, had faith) in Him were afterward to receive. For the [Holy] Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified (raised to honor).
3. And even greater works than what Christ did.
4. To make this refer to saving souls is to ignore facts, because He did this also.
5. To limit it to the works of the apostles will rob the other believers of the benefits of the promise.
v12 - AND GREATER WORKS THAN THESE SHALL HE DO.
1. The greater works are not those of reaching more people by means of –
a. radio, television, and the printed page.
b. for these are natural means and are used by unsaved men who do not have the Holy Spirit power to do the works of Christ.
2. No man can receive greater power than Christ, for He received the Spirit without measure - Isa 11:2; 61:1-2. John 3:34 AMP For since He Whom God has sent speaks the words of God [proclaims God's own message], God does not give Him His Spirit sparingly or by measure, but boundless is the gift God makes of His Spirit! [Deut. 18:18.]
3. Therefore, the greater works could not consist of doing greater things than Christ could have done had He had the occasion to do them.
4. The thought is that each believer can have equal power with Christ to do what He did as well as greater things if and when the occasion requires it.
5. Luke 24:49 AMP And behold, I will send forth upon you what My Father has promised; but remain in the city [Jerusalem] until you are clothed with power from on high.
Acts 1:8 AMP But you shall receive power (ability, efficiency, and might) when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem and all Judea and Samaria and to the ends (the very bounds) of the earth.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Bishop Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/,