THE PROBLEM OF SICKNESS AND DISEASE, SIN AND DEATH ARE PENALTIES OF THE FALL.
MEDICAL SCIENCE VIEWS THE CAUSES OF SICKNESS AND DISEASE IN PHYSIOLOGICAL OR PSYCHOSOMATIC TERMS.
Luke 4:38-41 WEB He rose up from the synagogue, and entered into Simon's house. Simon's mother-in-law was afflicted with a great fever, and they begged him for her. 39 He stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her. Immediately she rose up and served them. 40 When the sun was setting, all those who had any sick with various diseases brought them to him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them. 41 Demons also came out from many, crying out, and saying, "You are the Christ, the Son of God!" Rebuking them, he didn't allow them to speak, because they knew that he was the Christ.
THE BIBLE PRESENTS SPIRITUAL CAUSES AS THE UNDERLYING PROBLEM.
- SIN has affected us spiritually and physically––John 5:5 WEB A certain man was there, who had been sick for thirty-eight years. John 5:14 WEB Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, "Behold, you are made well. Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you."
- SATAN – Acts 10:38; Acts 19:11-12; Mark 9:17-25 WEB One of the multitude answered, "Teacher, I brought to you my son, who has a mute spirit; 18 and wherever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams at the mouth, and grinds his teeth, and wastes away. I asked your disciples to cast it out, and they weren't able." 19 He answered him, "Unbelieving generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to me." 20 They brought him to him, and when he saw him, immediately the spirit convulsed him, and he fell on the ground, wallowing and foaming at the mouth. 21 He asked his father, "How long has it been since this has come to him?" He said, "From childhood. 22 Often it has cast him both into the fire and into the water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us, and help us." 23 Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." 24 Immediately the father of the child cried out with tears, "I believe. Help my unbelief!" 25 When Jesus saw that a multitude came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to him, "You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him, and never enter him again!"
Luke 13:11 WEB Behold, there was a woman who had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and she was bent over, and could in no way straighten herself up.
GOD'S PROVISION OF REDEMPTION IS AS EXTENSIVE AS IS SINS PENALTY.
- For sin God provides forgiveness – Matthew 26:28 WEB for this is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for many for the remission of sins.
- For death God provides eternal & resurrection life – Romans 6:23 WEB For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- For sickness God provides healing – Psalms 103:1-5 WEB Praise Yahweh, my soul! All that is within me, praise his holy name! 2 Praise Yahweh, my soul, and don't forget all his benefits; 3 who forgives all your sins; who heals all your diseases; 4 who redeems your life from destruction; who crowns you with loving kindness and tender mercies; 5 who satisfies your desire with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.…Luke 5:17 WEB It happened on one of those days, that he was teaching; and there were Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting by, who had come out of every village of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem. The power of the Lord was with him to heal them.
JESUS HAD A THREE FOLD MINISTRY
- Teaching the Father's Word.
- Preaching repentance and the blessings of God's kingdom.
- Healing sickness, disease and infirmity – Matthew 4:23-24 WEB Jesus went about in all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the Good News of the Kingdom, and healing every disease and every sickness among the people. 24 The report about him went out into all Syria. They brought to him all who were sick, afflicted with various diseases and torments, possessed with demons, epileptics, and paralytics; and he healed them.
GOD'S WILL CONCERNING HEALING IS REVEALED IN FOUR MAIN WAYS:
- Gods own declaration – Ex 15:26–God promised health and healing for His people if they obeyed His covenants and commands – Exodus 15:26 WEB and he said, "If you will diligently listen to the voice of Yahweh your God, and will do that which is right in his eyes, and will pay attention to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you, which I have put on the Egyptians; for I am Yahweh who heals you."
- I am the LORD who heals you (as your Redeemer) – Psalms 103:3 WEB who forgives all your sins; who heals all your diseases;
- Jesus as the Son of God was and is the exact representation of God's nature and character – Hebrews 1:3 WEB His Son is the radiance of his glory, the very image of his substance, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself made purification for our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; – Colossians 1:15 WEB who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. – Colossians 2:9 WEB For in him all the fullness of the Godhead dwells bodily.
- in His earthly ministry – Mt 4:23-24; 8:14-16; 9:35; 15:28; Mk 1:32-34,40-41; Acts l0:38.
Luke 4:40 WEB When the sun was setting, all those who had any sick with various diseases brought them to him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them.
- Jesus revealed God's will in action — proving that it is in God's heart, nature and purpose to heal all who are sick and oppressed by the devil — John 6:38 WEB For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. — John 14:10 WEB Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works.
- The provision of The Atonement – Mt 8:16-17; Isaiah 53:4-5 WEB Surely he has borne our sickness, and carried our suffering; yet we considered him plagued, struck by God, and afflicted. 5 But he was pierced for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. The punishment that brought our peace was on him; and by his wounds we are healed. – 1Peter 2:24 WEB who his own self bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live to righteousness; by whose stripes you were healed.
- Jesus' atoning death was complete and adequate for redeeming the whole person – spirit, soul and body – 1Thes. 5:23 WEB May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- sin and sickness are the twin giants Satan designed to destroy mankind.
- forgiveness and healing are TWIN blessings designed by God to redeem and make us whole – Psa. 103:3; James 5:14-16 WEB Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the assembly, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord, 15 and the prayer of faith will heal him who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your offenses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The insistent prayer of a righteous person is powerfully effective.
- The ongoing ministry of the church
- Jesus commissioned the twelve to heal the sick – Luke 9:1-2 WEB He called the twelve together, and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. 2 He sent them forth to preach the Kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.
- Jesus sent the 70 to do the same work – Luke 10:8-9 WEB Into whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat the things that are set before you. 9 Heal the sick who are therein, and tell them, 'The Kingdom of God has come near to you.' – Luke 10:19 WEB Behold, I give you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy. Nothing will in any way hurt you.
- The Acts church carried on Jesus' healing ministry as part of preaching the Gospel — Acts 3:1-10; 4:30; 8:7; 9:34; 14:8-10; 19:11-12; cp Mk 16:18; 1Cor 12:9,28,30; Acts 5:16 WEB Multitudes also came together from the cities around Jerusalem, bringing sick people, and those who were tormented by unclean spirits: and they were all healed. – James 5:14-16 WEB Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the assembly, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord, 15 and the prayer of faith will heal him who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your offenses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The insistent prayer of a righteous person is powerfully effective.
THREE WAYS GOD'S HEALING POWER AND FAITH ARE IMPARTED
- The laying on of hands – Mark 16:15-18 WEB He said to them, "Go into all the world, and preach the Good News to the whole creation. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who disbelieves will be condemned. 17 These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new languages; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it will in no way hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover." – Acts 9:17 WEB Ananias departed, and entered into the house. Laying his hands on him, he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord, who appeared to you on the road by which you came, has sent me, that you may receive your sight, and be filled with the Holy Spirit."
- Anointing the sick with oil – James 5:14-16 WEB Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the assembly, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord, 15 and the prayer of faith will heal him who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your offenses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The insistent prayer of a righteous person is powerfully effective.
- Spiritual gifts of healing – 1Cor. 12:9-10 WEB “to another faith, by the same Spirit; and to another gifts of healings, by the same Spirit; 10 and to another workings of miracles…”
Prayer requests phone: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/