Luke 24:13-35 [13-43]
v13 - THE CRUCIFIXION DID NOT STOP JESUS' TEACHING MINISTRY.
- After His resurrection he taught at Emmaus and Jerusalem.
- Jesus continued to teach His followers.
- Christ still teaches today by His Holy Spirit — John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
v16 - JESUS WAS NOT RECOGNIZED ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS AFTER HIS RESURRECTION —
- Matthew 28:17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.
- John 20:14 Having said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus.
- John 21:4 Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus.
v19 - CHRIST POSSESSED IN PERFECTION ALL THE
CREDENTIALS OF A TRUE PROPHET —
- John 6:11-14 Jesus then took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, he distributed them to those who were seated. So also the fish, as much as they wanted. 12 And when they had eaten their fill, he told his disciples, "Gather up the leftover fragments, that nothing may be lost." 13 So they gathered them up and filled twelve baskets with fragments from the five barley loaves, left by those who had eaten. 14 When the people saw the sign that he had done, they said, "This is indeed the Prophet who is to come into the world!"
- 1Cor 12:8-11 8 To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.
- Ephesians 4:11-12 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ.
- The New Testament prophet is not necessarily a fore-teller or seer--BUT
- Rather a FORTH-TELLER, [truth-teller].
- One whose gifts enable him to speak to others —
- for edification.
- for exhortation.
- for consolation — 1Cor 14:1-3 Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. 2 For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. 3 On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation.
v21 - JESUS WAS WIDELY BELIEVED TO BE A PROPHET.
- The disciples had pinned their full hope on Jesus as the Promised Redeemer of Israel.
- With Jesus dead three days - their confidence was shaken.
v25  - THE REVELATION OF THE DIVINE PRESENCE.
- The Resurrected Christ joined the pre-occupied travelers.
- Christ revealed in Scripture and personal the reality and presence of God.
- They did not respond because of sorrow and fear.
- God's presence does not mean we receive revelation if we are not open to the Truth.
- Jesus opened their eyes to let them see the Revelation of the Christ -- v31.
- God walks beside us waiting to be recognized.
- God does not do forced entrances.
v27 - CLEOPUS AND HIS COMPANION HAD THE PRIVILEDGE --
- Of hearing the INCARNATE WORD — CHRIST the RISEN LORD, explain the WRITTEN WORD — the HOLY SCRIPTURES.
- In so doing — the Lord gave them the key to understanding the Holy Scriptures — He opened their mind. Luke 24:45-47 Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46 and said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, 47 and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
- They now realized that Christ Himself is its subject.
- That in Christ the entire Book finds its unity and finality.
v28-43 - THIS IS ALWAYS THE RESULT OF THE FULL REVELATION OF GOD IN REDEMPTION AND MIRACLE POWER.
- 2Peter 3:18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
- We grow in knowledge and faith by total reception of Jesus Christ as our Lord. — Romans 10:13-17 For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." 14 But how are they to call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!" 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?" 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Email: email@example.com or
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/