15-BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT
BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT
Eph. 5:14-20 (v18)
Eph 5:14-20 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. (15) See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, (16) Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (17) Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. (18) And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; (19) Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; (20) Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
BE FILLED CARRIES THE MEANING IN Gk OF REPEATEDLY BEING FILLED.
- Believers must experience constant renewal — Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. — Eph 4:22-24 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; (23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; (24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
- By repeatedly being filled with the Spirit — Eph 3:14-19 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, (15) Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, (16) That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; (17) That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, (18) May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; (19) And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God.
- This helps us live to please Christ — Heb 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
BELIEVERS ARE TO BE BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT SUBSEQUENT TO REGENERATION —
John 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Acts 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
- Yet they are to be filled with the Holy Spirit repeatedly.
- For worship, service and witness — Acts 4:31,33 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. (33) And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
- Our walk is after the Spirit — Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (2) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
BELIEVERS EXPERIENCE REPEATED FILLINGS WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT BY —
- Maintaining a living faith in the Lord Jesus Christ — Galatians 3:5-6 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (6) Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
- Being filled with Gods Word — Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
- Praying, giving thanks and singing to the Lord — v19-20; 1Cor 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
- Serving and doing what the Holy Spirit desires — Rom 8:1-14; Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. — Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. — 1Thes 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
RESULTS OF BEING FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Speaking with joy to God in Psalms, hymns and spiritual songs — v19.
- Giving thanks — v20.
- Fruit-bearing — Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, (23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
DIFFERENT MEASURES OF THE HOLY SPIRIT —
John 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
- The Mosaic portion — Numbers 11:17 And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone. — 11:25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.
- Mosaic portion divided into 71 portions - not more anointing — Num 11:16-17 And the LORD said unto Moses, Gather unto me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom thou knowest to be the elders of the people, and officers over them; and bring them unto the tabernacle of the congregation, that they may stand there with thee. (17) And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone. — 11:25-28 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease. (26) But there remained two of the men in the camp, the name of the one was Eldad, and the name of the other Medad: and the spirit rested upon them; and they were of them that were written, but went not out unto the tabernacle: and they prophesied in the camp. (27) And there ran a young man, and told Moses, and said, Eldad and Medad do prophesy in the camp. (28) And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of Moses, one of his young men, answered and said, My lord Moses, forbid them.
- Elijah Portion — Elisha Double Portion — 2Kings 2:9-10 And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me. (10) And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.
- Elijah portion on John the Baptist — Luke 1:15-17 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. (16) And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. (17) And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.
- Earnest of the spirit — 2Cor 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. — 2Cor 5:5 Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. — 1John 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
- The Spirit without measure — Isa 11:2; Isa 42:1; 61:1; Luke 4:16-21; John 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. — Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
- The fullness of God — Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. — Rom 15:29 And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fulness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.
- The rivers of living water — John 7:37-39 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. (38) He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (39) (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
THE FULL ANOINTING OF THE SPIRIT AND THE ENDUEMENT WITH POWER FROM ON HIGH — John 14:12-15 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. (13) And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (14) If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. (15) If ye love me, keep my commandments. — Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high. — Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. — Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. — Acts 4:31,33 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. (33) And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/