HE BLESSED THEM
Luke 24:45-53 [50-51]
Luke 24:45-53 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, (46) And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: (47) And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. (48) And ye are witnesses of these things. (49) And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high. (50) And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them. (51) And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven. (52) And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy: (53) And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.
AFTER OPENING THE DISCIPLES MINDS v45, AND
SHOWING THEM WHAT HE WOULD ENABLE THEM TO DO v50 — THEN HE BLESSED THEM.
1. God's blessings on our lives are essential.
2. Scripture teaches several things about God's blessings.
THE WORD BLESSING=Gk EULOGIA has the meaning of
1. A Divine gift causing our work to succeed -- Deut 28:12 The LORD shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow.
2. God's presence with us -- Gen 26:3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father.
3. God working in and through us to produce good works -- Php 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
4. God giving strength, power and help -- Eph 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; –– Col 1:11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness.
BLESSING IS USED IN THE SINGULAR
IN THIS SCRIPTURE, BUT INCLUDES ALL
THE BLESSINGS NEEDED FOR EVERY OCCASION.
1. Php 4:19 "But my God shall supply all your need, according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
2. Our needs in God's eye are singular - NEED.
3. When compared to God's plural - RICHES IN GLORY.
4. Effected by - JESUS CHRIST.
IN THE OT WORDS RELATED TO BLESSING OCCUR MORE THAN 400 TIMES.
1. The first thing God did in relation to man was bless him --
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
2. God sustains His work by blessing --
Ezk 34:26 And I will make them and the places round about my hill a blessing; and I will cause the shower to come down in his season; there shall be showers of blessing.
3. The life and history of God's people are under the operation of blessing and cursing -- Deut 11:26 Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse.
THE WHOLE WORK OF CHRIST CAN BE SUMMED UP BY THIS – Acts 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from your iniquities.
1. We see His blessing given to children -- Mk 10:13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. 16 And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.
2. To His disciples during departure from earth --
Luke 24:50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them. 51 And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven. 52 And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy: 53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.
3. Blessing plays an integral part in the ministry of the apostles --
Rom 15:29 And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fullness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.
THE BLESSING OF GOD IS CONDITIONAL––
YOU MUST MAKE A CHOICE --
Deut 30:15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil; 16 In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it. 17 But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them; 18 I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.
Jeremiah 17:5 Thus says the LORD: "Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart turns away from the LORD. 6 He is like a shrub in the desert, and shall not see any good come. He shall dwell in the parched places of the wilderness, in an uninhabited salt land. 7 "Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD.
1. Blessing through obedience.
2. Cursing through disobedience.
HOW DO WE RECEIVE THE LORD'S BLESSING?
1. We must believe in, love and obey the Lord --
Mt 5:3-11; Heb 12:12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; 13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
2. We must remove everything from our life that would hinder the reception of the blessing --
Heb 12:1; Rom 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
Eph 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ; 21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
GOD'S BLESSING SHOULD NOT BE JUDGED
BY OUR PERSONAL MATERIAL GAIN
or THE ABSENCE OF SUFFERING –
Rev 2:9 "'I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich) and the slander of those who say that they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. 10 Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.
Heb 11:37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; 38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. 39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: 40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/