NEW LIFE IN CHRIST JESUS MY LORD
Eph. 2:1-10; Titus 2:11-14
Ephesians 2:1-10 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; (2) Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: (3) Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. (4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, (5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) (6) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: (7) That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. (8) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (9) Not of works, lest any man should boast. (10) For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Titus 2:11-14 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, (12) Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; (13) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; (14) Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
v1 - WE ARE QUICKENED, made alive, BY THE RESURRECTION POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- We were dead spiritually - but we are resurrected by the Resurrection power of the Holy Ghost.
- The same Spirit that raised Christ from the grave – QUICKENS US = makes us alive — Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
- Resurrected from our trespasses and sins.
v2 - ALL WHO ARE WITHOUT CHRIST ARE CONTROLLED BY “the prince of the power of the air,” i.e., Satan.
- Their minds are blinded by Satan to the truth of God — 2Cor 4:3-4 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: (4) In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
- They are enslaved to sin - they are dead spiritually.
- They are enslaved to the lusts of the carnal man — v3 text.
- When you are dead spiritually you walk in darkness—according to the flesh.
- The prince of the power of the air rules your conduct and course of action.
- You are subject to him and followed carnality.
- You are not in control, but under control of the prince of darkness.
- Because of this —
- the carnal man cannot understand the truth.
- much less accept the truth.
- truth can only be apprehended by Grace — v5,8 text; 1Cor 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
v3 - WE COULD NOT WALK AFTER THE SPIRIT
BECAUSE WE HAD NO PART OF THE SPIRIT —
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
- Our lives were under the dominion of the lusts of the carnal man — lust of flesh, eyes and pride of life — 1John 2:16-17 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. (17) And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
- We were children of total disobedience.
- Our minds were under the dominion of Satan — 2Cor 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
- Our minds [spirit] — were given over to pursue the desires of the heart - the seat of the emotions.
- Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks — Matthew 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
v4 - THEN GOD INTERVENED - it is not turning over a new leaf, or making righteous resolutions—
- Those involved in immorality, unethical business practices or pride are to be prayed for.
- Because they are enslaved to sin and Satan.
- Turning over a new leaf does nothing.
- Confessing your sins and turning them over to God is everything.
- It is the richness of God's mercy and love with which He loved us.
- We are incapable of having anything to do with God's love, mercy, richness, or grace without Jesus Christ our Lord — 1Cor 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
v5 - WE WERE DEAD IN OUR SINS WITHOUT NATURAL HOPE.
- The sinner without Christ is still responsible for his sins.
- God gives every person a measure of light — Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
- and Grace by which to seek Him.
- To escape the slavery of sin through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Spiritual death is the state of any natural or unregenerate person still in their sins — v1.
- But we are made alive in Christ through the quickening power of the Holy Ghost.
v6-7 - WE ARE RAISED WITH CHRIST.
- We are in Christ Jesus—therefore made HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS [imputed]. — Romans 4:1-8 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? (2) For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. (3) For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. (4) Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. (5) But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (6) Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, (7) Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. (8) Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
- Thusly, we are seated with Christ in heavenly places.
- When the angel stands upon the land and the sea and proclaims that time shall be no more — God's Grace Stands as a Monument to His Great Love and Grace and the Shed Blood of our Resurrected Lord. — Rev. 10:5-6 And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, (6) And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:
- Throughout eternity the Grace of God will stand as a monument to the Love of God.
- and to the faith that has been imparted to each believer — Romans 12:3 AMP For by the grace (unmerited favor of God) given to me I warn everyone among you not to estimate and think of himself more highly than he ought [not to have an exaggerated opinion of his own importance], but to rate his ability with sober judgment, each according to the degree of faith apportioned by God to him.
- The exceeding riches are beyond the comprehension of man.
- God's riches of Grace are provided by the exceeding riches of His love.
- only a God full of the riches of love and grace could provide His only Son as a Sacrifice for lost creation - Man.
v8 - FOR BY GRACE - THE UNMERITED FAVOR OF GOD - ARE WE SAVED —
- Transferred from the kingdom of death, unto the Kingdom of God in Christ Jesus through faith.
- We not only needed the riches of God's Grace to save us — but FAITH to activate that GRACE. — Titus 2:11 AMP For the grace of God (His unmerited favor and blessing) has come forward (appeared) for the deliverance from sin and the eternal salvation for all mankind.
- faith was imparted as a free gift.
- we are unable to save ourselves.
- God provided faith as a free gift.
- FAITH activated God's unmerited favor GRACE.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/