6-ETERNAL SECURITY or
ETERNAL SECURITY or
Why You Don't Have To Backslide
Every Time The Preacher Leaves Town!
John 10:25-30; Luke 8:11-15
John 10:25-30 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. (26) But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. (27) My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: (28) And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. (29) My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. (30) I and my Father are one.
Luke 8:11-15 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. (12) Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. (13) They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. (14) And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. (15) But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
ETERNAL SECURITY IS ADDRESSED IN OUR REDEMPTION!
1. What must we do and continue to do to have eternal life or eternal security?
2. There are conditions set forth by Christ as necessary to gain eternal life.
v26 – BELIEVE = this implies complete and continued obedience.
- This expresses a continual process.
- Luke 8:15 - shows it could not be that just one act of faith was all that was required to gain eternal security. — Luke 8:15 ASV And that in the good ground, these are such as in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, HOLD IT FAST, and bring forth fruit with patience. (editor's emphasis)
- The faith that saves is an ever present, active faith. — John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth hath eternal life.
- Belief or faith cannot cease and still produce results.
- Believers must always live by faith and the faith of the Son of God — Gal 2:20; Romans 1:17 ASV For therein is revealed the righteousness of God from faith unto faith: as it is written, But the righteous shall live by faith.…Hebrews 10:23 ASV let us hold fast the confession of our hope that it waver not; for he is faithful that promised:
v27 - HEAR HIS VOICE.
1. We are not to be just hearers, but also doers of His Word —
James 1:22-27 ASV But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deluding your own selves. 23 For if any one is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a mirror: 24 for he beholdeth himself, and goeth away, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But he that looketh into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and so continueth, being not a hearer that forgetteth but a doer that worketh, this man shall be blessed in his doing. 26 If any man thinketh himself to be religious, while he bridleth not his tongue but deceiveth his heart, this man's religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before our God and Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
2. We are to actively follow God's Word —
Joshua 1:8 ASV This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth, but thou shalt meditate thereon day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
3. We are to apply the Word to our daily lives —
Romans 8:1-5 ASV There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus. (2) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death. (3) For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: (4) that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (5) For they that are after the flesh mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
4. If we walk in the Spirit we will not fulfill the desires of the flesh-man —
Galatians 5:16-18 ASV But I say, walk by the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are contrary the one to the other; that ye may not do the things that ye would. (18) But if ye are led by the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
v27 - FOLLOW CHRIST - WE ARE TO FOLLOW CHRIST —
1. Not only at the beginning of our Spiritual walk - but daily and throughout our life —
Luke 9:33 ASV And it came to pass, as they were parting from him, Peter said unto Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah: not knowing what he said.
2. To claim eternal life when one does not follow Christ is —
- as the Jews claiming to know God and have eternal life.
- Jesus declared this to be untrue — John 8:54-55 ASV Jesus answered, If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing: it is my Father that glorifieth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God; (55) and ye have not known him: but I know him; and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be like unto you, a liar: but I know him, and keep his word.
v28 - WHY WILL THEY NEVER PERISH?
1. Because they have met God's conditions and God will not permit Satan to snatch them away —
- Luke 8:11-15 ASV Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. (12) And those by the way side are they that have heard; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word from their heart, that they may not believe and be saved. (13) And those on the rock are they who, when they have heard, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. (14) And that which fell among the thorns, these are they that have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. (15) And that in the good ground, these are such as in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, hold it fast, and bring forth fruit with patience.
2. What must WE DO?
- hear the Word of God — v12.
- believe and be saved — v12; Mark 16:16 ASV He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned.
- maintain an honest and good heart — v12; Romans 6:16-23 ASV Know ye not, that to whom ye present yourselves as servants unto obedience, his servants ye are whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? (17) But thanks be to God, that, whereas ye were servants of sin, ye became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching whereunto ye were delivered; (18) and being made free from sin, ye became servants of righteousness. (19) I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye presented your members as servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity, even so now present your members as servants to righteousness unto sanctification. (20) For when ye were servants of sin, ye were free in regard of righteousness. (21) What fruit then had ye at that time in the things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. (22) But now being made free from sin and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto sanctification, and the end eternal life. (23) For the wages of sin is death; but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- keep the Word of God in your heart — v12; John 15:7 ASV If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatsoever ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
- do not fall away, but be rooted and grounded in truth — v13; Col 2:6-7, Heb 3:6; 12:14-15; Col 1:23 AMP [And this He will do] provided that you continue to stay with and in the faith [in Christ], well-grounded and settled and steadfast, not shifting or moving away from the hope [which rests on and is inspired by] the glad tidings (the Gospel), which you heard and which has been preached [as being designed for and offered without restrictions] to every person under heaven, and of which [Gospel] I, Paul, became a minister.
- obey the Word of God — v15; Jas 2:14-23; Rom 1:16 AMP For I am not ashamed of the Gospel (good news) of Christ, for it is God's power working unto salvation [for deliverance from eternal death] to everyone who believes with a personal trust and a confident surrender and firm reliance, to the Jew first and also to the Greek,
- bring forth fruit in perseverance — v15; John 6:27 ASV Work not for the food which perisheth, but for the food which abideth unto eternal life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him the Father, even God, hath sealed.… John 15:1-8 ASV I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. (2) Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh it away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he cleanseth it, that it may bear more fruit. (3) Already ye are clean because of the word which I have spoken unto you. (4) Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; so neither can ye, except ye abide in me. (5) I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for apart from me ye can do nothing. (6) If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. (7) If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatsoever ye will, and it shall be done unto you. (8) Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; and so shall ye be my disciples.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/