10-God Given Power
GOD GIVEN POWER
Mark 2:1-12; Luke 5:17-26
Mark 2:1-12 And when he entered again into Capernaum after some days, it was noised that he was in the house. (2) And many were gathered together, so that there was no longer room for them, no, not even about the door: and he spake the word unto them. (3) And they come, bringing unto him a man sick of the palsy, borne of four. (4) And when they could not come nigh unto him for the crowd, they uncovered the roof where he was: and when they had broken it up, they let down the bed whereon the sick of the palsy lay. (5) And Jesus seeing their faith saith unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins are forgiven. (6) But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts, (7) Why doth this man thus speak? he blasphemeth: who can forgive sins but one, even God? (8) And straightway Jesus, perceiving in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, saith unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts? (9) Which is easier, to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins are forgiven; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk? (10) But that ye may know that the Son of man hath authority on earth to forgive sins (he saith to the sick of the palsy), (11) I say unto thee, Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thy house. (12) And he arose, and straightway took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.
FAITH CAN BE SEEN - v5, (Acts 14:9) The same heard Paul speak: who steadfastly beholding him, and perceiving that he had faith to be healed.
- Sins are forgiven - v5.
- Paralytic healed - v11.
CAN GOD SAVE AND HEAL TODAY? BUT WILL HE? v9.
- The Jews were witnesses to healings and miracles.
- but to forgive sins was considered blasphemy.
- today the reverse is true, people believe God will forgive sins, but to heal and perform miracles is heresy.
- God's ability is not in question, but His willingness is.
- why is this? Does God not love men today as when Christ was on earth?
- is it because God made no provision for us today?
- is it because the Christ's atonement has failed?
- is prayer a farce and God's promises untrue?
- GOD FORBID!
- It is because man has changed.
- The church has changed - LOST ANOINTING= LOST POWER.
- Preachers have refused to carry on the gospel message —
- as begun by Christ - John 14:12-17 Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father. (13) And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (14) If ye shall ask anything in my name, that will I do. (15) If ye love me, ye will keep my commandments. (16) And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever, (17) even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall be in you.
- as guaranteed in the NT –
1. James 5:14-15 Is any among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: (15) and the prayer of faith shall save him that is sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, it shall be forgiven him.
2. Mark 16:15-20 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to the whole creation. (16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned. (17) And these signs shall accompany them that believe: in my name shall they cast out demons; they shall speak with new tongues; (18) they shall take up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall in no wise hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (19) So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken unto them, was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God. (20) And they went forth, and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word by the signs that followed. Amen.
- It is just as easy for God to heal sick and diseased bodies as to save sin-sick souls.
- God wills to do both on the same basis Faith in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord.
- If God could do both and refused to do so - He would not be the loving Father Jesus said He is – (Luke 11:9-13) And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
- He would be less loving and good than an evil father who would heal his own child if he had the power — (Mat 7:7-11) Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? 10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
GOD DELEGATES AUTHORITY – v10C
Gk EXOUSIA=authority or power or DOMINION-v10.
- Authority and liberty to exercise full power of attorney in all of God' s interests on earth — (John 16:23) And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
- Christ's power was unlimited in doing the will and works of God on earth -- v10.
- Christ now has all power in heaven and earth – Eph 1:2-23; Mat 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- Christ now promises to share His earthly power with all Believers – Matthew 18:19-20 Again I say unto you, that if two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father who is in heaven. (20) For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/