11—Grow in the Word
GROWING UP IN THE WORD
Eph. 4:15; 1Pet. 2:2
Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
1Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
SPIRITUAL GROWTH COMES FROM THE WORD. — 1Pet 2:2 ALT as newborn babies long for the spiritual, pure milk, so that you shall grow by it,
A. We are born of the Word. — 1Pet 1:23 ALT having been [or, because you have been] regenerated [or, born again] not from corruptible seed but incorruptible, through [the] word of God [which is] living and remaining into the age [fig., forever].
B. We are born hearing the Word. — Rom 10:14 ALT How then will they call on [Him] in whom they did not believe? But how will they believe [on Him] of whom they did not hear? But how will they hear apart from one preaching?
C. We grow up by speaking and hearing the Word. — Eph 4:15 ALT But speaking the truth in love, we shall increase to Him [in] all [things], who is the head, Christ,
D. We mature on the Word by:
- Becoming skillful in the Word.
- Eph 4:14-15 ALT so that we shall no longer be young children, being tossed about by waves and being carried about from place to place by every wind of teaching [or, doctrine], by the cunning of people, in craftiness, for the purpose of the trickery of deception. (15) But speaking the truth in love, we shall increase to Him [in] all [things], who is the head, Christ,
- Heb 5:13-14 ALT For everyone partaking of milk [is] inexperienced in [the] word of righteousness, for he is a young child. (14) But solid food is for [the] mature, for the ones having, because of practice, their powers of discernment having been trained to discern [between] both good and evil.
- Using it as a sword.
E. We lack nothing–just underdeveloped skills.
WE MUST MATURE AS A BODY.
A. There is individual growth. — 1Pet 2:2 ALT as newborn babies long for the spiritual, pure milk, so that you shall grow by it,
B. There is growth as a body. Ephesians 4:14 (above).
- Act 4:32 ALT Now the heart and the soul of the congregation of the ones having believed was one, and not one [of them] was saying [that] any of their belongings to be [or, was] his own, but all things were common [property] to them.
- One mind, one mouth. — Rom 15:1-7 ALT But we, the strong, ought to be enduring the infirmities of the weak and not to be pleasing ourselves. (2) Let each one of us be pleasing the neighbor for good, toward edification. (3) For even Christ did not please Himself, but just as it has been written, "The insults [or, reproaches] of the ones insulting You fell on Me." [Psalm 69:9] (4) For as many [things] as were previously written, were previously written for our instruction, so that through the patient endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures, we shall be having hope [or, confident expectation]. (5) Now [may] the God of patient endurance and of encouragement give to you to be having the same mind [or, to be like-minded] among one another, according to Christ Jesus, (6) so that with one mind, with one mouth [in unison], you shall be glorifying the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (7) For this reason, be receiving one another, just as also Christ received you, to [the] glory of God.
WITHOUT LOVE WE WILL NOT GROW.
1Cor 3:1-3 ALT And I, brothers [and sisters], was not able to speak to you as to spiritual [people], but as to fleshly [people], as to young children in Christ. (2) I gave you milk to drink and not solid food, for you were not yet able. Indeed, neither are you now yet able, (3) for you are still fleshly. For whereas [there are] among you jealous rivalry and strife and divisions [or, discords], you are fleshly and are walking about [conducting yourselves] according to human [standards], are you not?
- No Understanding of Spiritual Things. — Eph 4:18 ALT having been darkened in the understanding, being [in the state of] having been separated from [or, a foreigner to] the life of God, because of the ignorance, the one being in them, because of the hardness of their heart [stubbornness of their inner self],
THE POWER TO GROW MUST FLOW THROUGH PART OF THE BODY!
To walk out of love is to walk in darkness and live in death.
1John 2:6-11 ALT The one claiming to be abiding in Him just as that [One] walked ought also in the same manner himself to be walking. (7) Brothers [and sisters], I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you were having from the beginning-the old commandment is the word which you heard from [the] beginning. (8) Again, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining. (9) The one claiming to be in the light and [yet is] hating his brother is in the darkness until now. (10) The one loving his brother abides in the light, and [there] is not a stumbling-block [or, no enticement to sin] in him. (11) But the one hating his brother, he is in the darkness and walks about in the darkness. And he does not know where he is going, because the darkness [has] blinded his eyes.
1John 2:14 ALT I wrote to you, fathers, because you have come to know the [One who is] from [the] beginning. I wrote to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
THE PERFECT MAN.
We are no longer children.
1. 1Cor 13:11 ALT When I was a child, I was speaking as a child, I was thinking as a child, I was reasoning as a child; but when I have become a man, I have put away the [things] of the child.
2. Put away childish things (winds of doctrine, etc).
3. Measure of the stature of the fullness of Jesus — Col 2:9-10 ALT Because in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead [or, Deity] bodily, (10) and you have been made full [or, have been completed] in Him, who is the Head of every rule and authority,
WE ARE ONE
1Cor 12:12-26 ALT For just as the body is one and has many body parts, but all the body parts of the one body, being many, are one body, in the same manner also [is] Christ. (13) For also by one Spirit we all were baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free persons, and we were all given to drink into one Spirit. (14) For also the body is not one body part, but many. (15) If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body," it is not, because of this, not of the body. (16) And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body," it is not, because of this, not of the body. (17) If the whole body [were] an eye, where [would be] the hearing? If [the] whole [were] hearing, where [would be] the sense of smell? (18) But now God set the body parts each one of them in the body, just as He willed. (19) But if all the [parts] were one body part, where [would be] the body? (20) But now indeed [there are] many body parts, but one body. (21) Now the eye is not able to say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." (22) But by much more [or, to a greater degree] the parts of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. (23) And which [parts] of the body we consider to be less honorable, to these we put around [fig., bestow] greater honor, and our unpresentable [parts] have greater presentability [fig., are treated with greater modesty], (24) but our presentable [parts] do not have [such a] need; but God arranged the body, having given greater honor to the [part] lacking [apparent importance], (25) so that there shall not be divisions in the body, but that the body parts shall have the same concern for one another. (26) And if one part suffers, all the parts suffer with [it]; if one part is glorified, all the parts rejoice with [or, congratulate] [it].
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net/, http://worldenglishbible.org/, http://www.jvim.com/, http://www.jsm.org/, http://www.netbible.com/