1—ASSURANCE OF SALVATION
ASSURANCE OF SALVATION
1John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
- Every Christian desires to have assurance of salvation, that is, the certainty that when Christ returns or death comes, he or she will go to be with the Lord Jesus in heaven (Php. 1:23).
- John's purpose in writing his first epistle is that God's people may have that assurance (1John 5:13).
- Note that nowhere in the letter does John state that a past experience of conversion constitutes an assurance or guarantee of salvation.
- To assume we possess eternal life based solely on a past experience or a faith that is no longer vital is a grave error.
- This epistle puts forth nine ways for us to know that we are in a saving relationship with Jesus Christ.
WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . .
(1) WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . . if we believe "on the name of the Son of God" (1John 5:13; cp. 4:15; 5:1,5). There is no eternal life or assurance of salvation without an earnest faith in Jesus Christ that confesses Him as God's Son, sent to be our Lord and Savior.
(2) WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . . if we are honoring Christ as Lord of our lives and are sincerely seeking to keep His commandments. “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in Him. But whoso keepeth his word, in Him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him” (1John 2:3-5; cp. 3:24; 5:2; John 8:31,51; 14:21-24; 15:9-14; Heb. 5:9).
(3) WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . . if we love the Father and the Son rather than the world, and if we overcome the influence of the world. "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him" (1John 2:15; cp. 4:4-6; 5:4).
(4) WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . . if we habitually and persistently practice righteousness rather than sin. "If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him" (1John 2:29). On the other hand, "He that committeth sin is of the devil" (3:7-10).
(5) WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . . if we love the brethren. "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren ... And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him" (1John 3:14,19; cp. 2:9-11; 3:23; 4:8,11-12,16,20; 5:1; John 13:34-35).
(6) WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . . if we are conscious of the Holy Spirit dwelling within us. "And hereby we know that he [Jesus Christ] abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us" (1John 3:24; cp. 4:13).
(7) WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . . if we are endeavoring to follow the example of Jesus and live as He lived. "He that saith that he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked" (1John 2:6; cp. John 8:12; 13:15).
(8) WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . . if we believe, accept, and abide in the "Word of life," i.e., the living Christ (1John 1:1), and in the original message of Christ and the N.T. apostles. "If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father" (2:24; cp. 1:1-5; 4:6).
(9) WE HAVE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE . . . if we have an earnest longing and a certain hope for the return and appearance of Jesus Christ to receive us to Himself. "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure" (1John 3:2-3; cp. John 14:1-3).
Prayer requests: 1-918-224-3609
Mail: Pastor Ira L. Hargis
9238 Columbia St.
Sapulpa, Oklahoma USA 74066
Awesome links: http://www.e-sword.net